Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the hardest part

Photobucket

I must confess I am truly terrible at savasana. Last night I arrived at a class early, so I lay down in corpse pose, wanting to just clear my mind and get focused on my practice. In the 10 minutes that I lay there I planned- from start to finish- a barbecue for my yoga teacher training classmates. It would be in June, maybe the weekend after we finish, everyone would be invited, including significant others. We'd start early, so as not to have too late of a party given the fact I live next door to my elderly landlords and I wouldn't want to keep them up all night. Should I tell everyone tomorrow night? The menu would be mostly vegetarian. Grilled veggie kabobs, yes and perhaps just snacks and appetizers. Oh, and I'll invite our instructors.

Then class began and I was able to truly clear my mind, simply focusing on breath, movement and physical sensations as I was led through a truly tough class focusing on expanding through the sides of our bodies. The practice itself demanded so much of my focus, I can honestly say the only thoughts in my head were about physical placement of limbs and the thought "wooooo this burns!" Yeow. At the end of it all I was exhausted.

When all was said and done I took a spinal twist and lay, completely spent, in my corpse pose. My hands were open, palms up, feet splayed out to the side, lower jaw relaxed. I tried my usual savasana tricks to quiet my chatty mind. Like focusing on my third eye, and then just counting my breath. And then you know what I did, I planned a full trip out to L.A. to visit my sister before her baby comes. Just to squeeze in one last visit before her (and my) life changes forever by the addition of a new little bundle. I mean, seriously, I was calculating flight costs in my head. I truly suck at savasana. It's the hardest part of the practice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment